The Top Ten Reasons Why Retirement Sucks!

Rocking Chairs at Historic Poole Forge

Image by 1Sock via Flickr

Retirement can be a self-imposed exile from life, exhileration and fulfillment.  On the other hand, retirement can be a time of growth, excitement and satisfaction.  What makes the difference?  There is no secret.  It’s your attitude.  After a lifetime of accommodation, it’s easy to forget who is in charge. The only limits are those you accept. Many people drift into retirement and then wonder why it seems so empty. Even if you think you have a good retirement, you may not have considered all the options. These are the top ten reasons why retirement isn’t exciting. Which of these reasons is your excuse for not living the dream that’s hiding in the corner of your brain?

The top ten reasons why your retirement sucks.

1. You are just doing what everybody else is doing.

2. You worry about what other people think.

3. You don’t feel like doing anything anyway.

4. You don’t deserve any better.

5. You didn’t save enough money.

6. You don’t have any friends.

7. The kds won’t spend any time with you.

8. There is nothing you want to do.

9. You don’t get around so well anyway.

10. You are nobody special.

Maybe you have another one you want to add to the list.

Enhanced by Zemanta
{ 15 comments… add one }
  • Bill Murney June 28, 2011, 4:05 am

Ralph, you hit the nail on the head with ATTITUDE.

That’s the number one reason for a great retirement or for falling into the trap summed up in your top ten reasons for retirement hell.

I am happy to say I don’t tick any of the ten boxes and I know you don’t!

Bill
    A-U-L, UK

• Ralph June 28, 2011, 5:42 am

Bill,
      It is definitely having the right attitude and then taking charge.

• Hansi June 28, 2011, 5:49 am

I’m with Bill on that one. Good attitude = good retirement. Retirement is what you make it, not something you’re doomed to endure until the end.

• Ralph June 28, 2011, 6:05 am

Hansi,
      What’s a good retirement without the House of Pain to put it all in perspective?

• sandra November 22, 2013, 4:10 pm

retirement sucks for me

• Ralph November 23, 2013, 2:32 pm

That’s too bad. Are you doing something to change it?

• margaret July 15, 2014, 1:44 pm

The problem is my husband does absolutely nothing. He has no hobbies…nothing. Now he sits on his computer all day and plays chest, or some other idiotic game. I do gardening by myself. I am ready to go insane. I am so damn lonely. It has been like this since before he retired. He never liked hiking, bowling, camping, nothing. I’m sorry I am still breathing. I truly am jealous of those who have gone before me. I use to be an extravert. This is pure hell. My health has deteriorated and I know it’s this life style. Why is death so slow in coming?

• POed March 3, 2015, 9:57 am

Most of these posts about how great it is are written by 45-55 year olds that talk the talk but haven’t walked the walk. It does suck and suck and suck and gets worse everyday. Nobody saved enough money, there are a hundred younger little leaches, the government, and a thousand companies, looking for ways to separate you from what little money you still have. There is no respect from anybody as in ANYBODY, even the cashiers in the grocery store treat you like crap, your kids if you see them at all blow smoke up your ass, and really want their inheritance now, or better yet just die and get out of the way. The grand kids disappear because their worthless parents didn’t teach them anything about what a family is. Add to that the aches and pains and you just spelled S U C K. Take your adolescent 50 cent Psychology and stick it . . . well I forgot where. What do you expect from an elderly person.

• Ralph March 4, 2015, 9:54 am

Getting old is our last learning opportunity. There are so many things wrong with aging and being old. On the ohter hand, I still prefer life to death and so long as I’m still amongh the living I’m going to look for the good around me. We are both survivers. My plan is to find as much good as I can along the way.

• bill April 16, 2015, 7:00 pm

Retirement is simply a place to sit around and wait.

• Ralph April 17, 2015, 9:28 am

Bill,
      Retirement is an opportunity. Do something unexpected. Challenge yourself to do something you always wanted to do. Don’t wait. Act!

• june muskett July 28, 2016, 1:45 pm

I was just googling and found this site, Retirement if you are single, with little family and not enough money to do things you want, does suck, Ive been retired, not by choice for 7 years and iv e loathed every minute, Everything I want to do like travel,costs money. I sit my friends dog, she being younger still works at my old company, if I didn’t go that id go completely insane, I long for the stimulation of work, the camardarie and the pay. Ok I get a works pension buts it not enough to do what I want. Each dreary day seems to follow the other, friends either all still at work,or if retired with partners and a lot more money than me suggest WI, standing in a charity shop, etc, all terribly boring to me. It just seems to me that retirement is like just sitting around waiting for the Grim reaper.DONT RETIRE id say if you don’t have to, will be the biggest mistake of your life.

• Debbie March 9, 2017, 11:32 am

I am so weary of the Magic answer being ‘just keep active’ and thus blaming retirees for lives just aren’t what we thought retirement would be. Really now, how patronizing! Does anybody out there really believe if it was so simple ‘to just keep busy’ we wouldn’t already be doing it? We didn’t get to our retirement years by being stupid… of course ‘keeping busy’ is the answer to a fulfilling retirement! But so many of us don’t have the ability to do that because of circumstances beyond our control such as health issues, finances, isolation-such physical distance away from family, and a variety of other real and honest reasons. Often we truly are victims of our circumstances, whether we caused those circumstances or not doesn’t matter. Quit the arrogance of blaming retirees for not being able to change their circumstances and loneliness by trite answers of ‘just finding something to do’. That’s obvious…

• Ralph March 10, 2017, 10:22 am

Debbie,
      Thanks for your comment. Perhaps I am condescending. I know that I do have good health and am comfortable. Perhaps I am insensitive to the difficulties that some other old folks may suffer and which limit their ability to live their retirement as an adventure.
      On the other hand, I personally know many people who are healthy and financially secure who sit at home doing nothing. If this is what they want then more power to them. It just seems to me that we are only given a finite number of days and I don’t want to waste them. What I choose to do is my choice and what fulfills me may not work for you but I am always looking for some mission or adventure that is within my abilities and resources to fill my time. When health issues limit those possibilities (as it surely will), it won’t stop me from looking for others.